All the teen suicides of late seem to point to bullying and teens struggling with their sexuality. Many of us can remember the pain, or still feel it.
As a teenager, I was too isolated to know what "gay" was. When I was (occasionally) called a "sissy", I do not think I understood the full import of the taunt. But I was never taunted much, never really bullied because i was the biggest kid in the school - not just overweight (which I was) but big. Taller, bigger, stronger. So, I was just left alone. I felt the isolation, but not the mean, sadistic taunting and bullying that so many have endured.
And for those who could no longer endure it, I pray for the repose of their souls. As an adult, I have entered that darkness that isolates us from everything and everyone else. The only way out seems death; that feeling that the world will really be better off is just weren't around.
Oh, God, it's an awful feeling.
If you are part of a church or spiritual institution that remembers the names of those who have died, remember them this Sunday, October 10th. The day before National Coming Out Day.
Pray for those who never had the chance. Work like hell so that others will know they DO have the chance.
- Billy Lucas (15) September 9, 2010. Indiana
- Cody J. Barker (17) September 13, 2010. Wisconsin
- Seth Walsh (13) September 19, 2010. California
- Tyler Clementi (18) September 22, 2010. New Jersey
- Asher Brown (13) September 23, 2010. Texas
- Harrison Chase Brown (15) September, 25 2010. Colorado
- Raymond Chase (19) September 29, 2010. Rhode Island
- Felix Sacco (17) September 29, 2010. Massachusetts
- Caleb Nolt (14) September 30, 2010. Indiana